1. Motorists _____ of speeding may be banned from driving for a year.
A. convicted B. arrested
C. charged D. judged
[答案] A. convicted.
[注释]be convicted to 被判有...... (罪) ：He was convicted of murder. (他被法院判有谋杀罪。)
2. The reason why he adapted to the new situations quickly is that he has a _____ attitude.
A. changeable B. alternate
C. movable D. flexible
[答案] D. flexible.
[注释] flexible 灵活的, 可变通的; We need a foreign policy that is more flexible.
3. Will all those _____ the proposal raise their hands?
A. in relation to
B. in excess of
C. in contrast to
D. in favor of
[答案] D. in favor of.
4. An early typewriter produced letters quickly and neatly; the typist, _____ couldn't see his work on his machine.
A. however B. therefore
C. yet D. although
[答案] A. however.
[注释] however 然而。
5. We are interested in the weather because it _____ us so directly ------ what we wear, what we do, and even how we feel.
A. benefits B. guides
C. affects D. effects
[答案] C. affects.
6. I can meet you at eight o'clock; _____ you can call for me.
A. incidentally B. actually
C. alternatively D. accordingly
[答案] C. alternatively
[注释]alternatively (=as an alternative) 作为一个替代办法：If however is used, but is not needed; or alternatively omit however. (如果使用however,就不需要but;或者作为一个替代办法省去however。)
[注意]alternately 和 alternatively的区别:alternately (交替地) ：At a Chinese dinner, the guests and the hosts sit alternately at a round table.
7. He has the _____ of an athlete: he really goes all out to win.
A. instants B. instances
C. instincts D. intelligences
[答案] C. instincts.
[注释] instinct 天生的本领。instant n. 瞬间, 时刻; adj. 立即的, 直接的。如：instant coffee 速溶咖啡; instant food (s) 方便食品。例如：Spaceships are stocked with a variety of instant foods. (宇宙飞船上备有各种个样的方便食品。)
8. A university is an educational institution which _____ degrees and carries out research.
A. rewards B. awards
C. grants D. presents
[答案] B. awards.
[注释]awards sb. sth. 授于某人某物。如：They awarded John the first prize. (他们授于约翰一等奖。)
9. The old lady can't hope to _____ her cold in a few days.
A. get over B. get off C. hold back D. hold up
[答案] A. get over [
10. Jim's plans to go to college _____ at the last moment.
A. fell out B. gave away
C. gave off D. fell through
[答案] D. fell through，未能实现