1. It isn't quite _____ that he will be present at the meeting.
A. sure B. right
C. exact D. certain
[答案] D. certain.
[注释]I am sure that +从句。He is sure to come. = He is certain to come.但在it作形式主语, that引导主语从句时, 主句中表语只能用certain, 不能用sure.
2. Many new _____ will be opened up in the future for those with a university education.
[答案] A. opportunities.
[注释]opportunity常指“ (难得的应抓住的) 机会”, 既可作可数名词, 也可以作不可数名词用, 如：I had few opportunities of meeting interesting people there. They had not much opportunity for hearing good music in the remote area.
3. The members of the club wouldn't run a _____ in entrusting(委托) the organization to an unreliable person.
A. danger B. risk
C. hazard D. chance
[答案] B. risk.
[注释]run a risk (in) 冒险：You are running a big risk in trusting him.
4. The meeting was _____ when the chairman fell ill.
A. put down B. shut out
C. cut short D. taken off
[答案] C. cut short.
5. John says that his present job does not provide him with enough _____ for his organizing ability.
A. scope B. space
C. capacity D. range
[答案] A. scope.
[注释]本题中scope (=opportunity; outlet) 施展机会, 发展余地, 是不可数名词, 如：Give someone scope to show his ability. Range意指“变动范围; 视听范围; 理解范围”, 如：the range of prices (价格变动范围).
6. I just managed to _____ a quick breath before I was sucked under the water by the passing boat.
A. snatch B. scratch
C. scrape D. scan
[答案] A. snatch.
[注释] snatch的原义是“攫取; 抓住; 夺得”。本题中snatch意指“匆忙间设法得到”, 如：He snatched an hour of sleep. (他匆匆睡了一小时觉。) snatch a quick breath (匆忙猛吸了一口气)。
7. My brother likes eating very much but he isn't very _____ about the food he eats.
A. special B. peculiar
C. particular D. unusual
[答案] C. particular.
[注释]be particular about对......讲究, 挑剔; She is very particular about what she wears. (她对她得穿着很讲究。) Mr. Smith was quite particular about my work. (史密斯先生对工作十分挑剔。)
8. I don't think the charge for overhauling (大修)the equipment is excessive in _____ to its size.
[答案] C. proportion.
[注释]in proportion to是固定搭配, 意为“与......成比例, 与.......相称”。反义语：out of proportion不成比例,不相称。本题称。
9. Voices were _____ as the argument between the two motorists became more bad-tempered.
A. swollen B. raised
C. developed D. increased
[答案] B. raised.
10. Having lived in the town for quite a few years, Mr. Johnson no longer felt _____ among the local people.
A. out of order B. out of place
C. out of control D. out of the question
[答案] B. out of place.